A Tipped Over message happens when Joule is detected to be at a 45 degree or greater angle past vertical. It is intended to stop a cook in the case of Joule falling over.
Joule senses its angle with 3-axis accelerometer. Inside the accelerometer, there is a chunk of material called a seismic mass. This mass reacts to gravity or other forces acting on the Joule and with some tiny position sensors Joule can then calculate which way is down.
If Joule is sending a Tipped Over message despite it being upright, it's likely that there may an issue with the accelerometer / seismic mass.
The seismic mass, being a mechanical part, may unintentionally stick in one or more of the axes. This results in a frozen reading which will not react to changes in orientation and in turn may trigger the Tipped Over message.
First, make sure your Joule is updated to the latest firmware. Instructions here: How do I update Joule's firmware?
Then, a method we can recommend involves lightly striking / tapping Joule to attempt to unstick the seismic mass. As the sensor has multiple axes, it's recommended to tap at different angles.
Please note, as this is part of an expensive cooking appliance, care must be taken not to strike too hard! Be nice, Joule is your friend!
- Unplug the Joule from any outlets.
- If Joule is hot, please allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Hold Joule by the bottom half, taking care the cord is not hanging loosely or in the way.
- Find a sturdy worktop and protect it with padding, e.g. a towel. You can also use the palm of your other hand.
- Tap the front of Joule on padded worktop / in palm of hand ('front' is the same side the water comes out.)
- Tap the side of Joule on padded worktop / in palm of hand.
- Tap the bottom of Joule on padded worktop / in palm of hand. Please do this straight down so as not to accidentally skew Joule's magnetic foot.
Try a factory reset. Instructions here: What is a factory reset, and how do I perform one?
If either the "percussive maintenance", factory reset, or firmware update fails to resolve the errant Tipped Over message, please open a support ticket with us using the link below.