If you've previously paired with Joule and it's having trouble connecting via Bluetooth, first try our in app troubleshooting:
- Verify that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone/tablet.
- Verify that when you plug Joule in, the LED is solid white.
- Fully close and re-launch the Joule app.
- Proceed to the main menu (tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left).
- Tap Settings > My Joules > [Joule name] > Troubleshoot Connection.
- If you see the message 'Checking Bluetooth', please wait while the Joule app attempts to re-establish the Bluetooth connection.
- If the 'Checking Bluetooth' message changes to 'Bluetooth disconnected / Tap for more information', then tap the Refresh button. Please wait for up to 15-30 seconds.
- If the 'Bluetooth disconnected' message persists, tap on that message and then tap 'Try Again' on the next screen.
- Repeat this process until you see 'Bluetooth connected!'
- Please note: depending on the speed/age of the phone/tablet you are using to run the Joule app, it may take longer on some devices than others to re-establish the Bluetooth connection.
- If Joule is connected to WiFi, try disabling Bluetooth on your phone and control Joule via WiFi only.
If you're still having pairing issues, try setting Joule up with a fresh connection. Check out this article for steps on how to do this: Bluetooth or WiFi not connecting? Try this first!
Please refer to your device's manual and contact the manufacturer for information on how to setup and configure your phone/tablet.
Additional Bluetooth troubleshooting info:
- Avoid common sources of wireless interference. These include power cables, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, wireless video cameras, cordless phones, other Bluetooth / WiFi devices. Here's an article that gives great tips on how to reduce wireless interference:
Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference.
- Use the Joule app to pair with Joule. Do not try to pair with Joule through the Bluetooth settings on your phone/tablet.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone or tablet and that your phone/tablet is close to Joule.
- Make sure your phone/tablet is connected to the internet.
- Make sure cellular data is enabled for the Joule app.
- Fully close the Joule app then toggle Bluetooth off and on.
- Fully close the Joule app then toggle Airplane mode on and off.
- Remove any unused Bluetooth pairings on your phone/tablet.
- Delete all paired devices. (This will require to pair again to any Bluetooth devices you use with your phone/tablet.)
- Are you trying to use another Bluetooth device while pairing or cooking with Joule? Try powering off all other connected Bluetooth devices before using Joule.
- If your device is running low on internal storage, increase storage space by removing any unneeded apps/data on your phone.
- Close down unused apps running in the background.
- Remove any third party Bluetooth manager apps.
- Restart the phone/tablet.
- Update the phone/tablet's system software.
- Unplug Joule, and then plug it in again.
- Fully close and restart the Joule app.
- Uninstall / re-install the Joule app.
- If you have access to another smart phone/tablet, try using that device to pair with Joule.
- If using Android:
- Make sure the Joule app is fully closed before checking the following:
- Enable location services and turn on high accuracy mode.
- Turn on/allow location permissions for the Joule app.
- Turn off Camera permission for the Joule app.
- Toggle Bluetooth off/on.
- Toggle Airplane mode on/off.
- Clear the Bluetooth cache.
- Clear the cache for the Joule app.
- Disable battery/power saver modes (e.g. battery optimization, doze mode, do not disturb).
- Enable Bluetooth scanning.
- Enable background data/sync/refresh for the Joule app.
- Reset network settings. (Full refresh of all network settings: WiFi, Bluetooth, mobile data. In short, it wipes out all network related settings and refreshes it to default.)
- Always a good idea to restart your phone/tablet after making any of the above changes.
- If using iOS:
- In Settings > Bluetooth, select Allow New Connections.
- In Settings > Battery, deselect Low Power Mode.
- Enable background app refresh for the Joule app.